(*Recipe altered by ChemicalFreeLife.tumblr.com to be free of unwanted synthetic chemicals; original source recipe: Good Housekeeping; dailygreen.com)
RECIPE: CREAMY CELERY SOUP!
Delicious, homemade and free of unwanted synthetic food additives!
1 large bunch celery with leaves (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons (organic…skip the pesticides) olive oil
1 large onion (about 12 ounces), chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Salt (sea salt…skip the synthetic chemicals in table salt) and coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 cup (organic…skip the sulfites) white wine
3 cans (14 to 14 1/4 ounces each) vegetable broth (5 1/4 cups) (Fresh preferred. If not, BPA-Free can where possible and definitely organic…skip the pesticides.)
2 medium all-purpose potatoes (about 6 ounces each), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (organic…skip the high pesticide levels in non-organic potatoes)
2 cups water
1. Trim ends from celery stalks. Reserve a few celery leaves for garnish; wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Slice celery stalks and remaining leaves crosswise into 1-inch pieces; transfer to colander. Rinse and drain well.
2. In 51/2- to 6-quart saucepot, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery and leaves, onion, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook 20 to 25 minutes or until celery is soft but not browned, stirring occasionally. Add wine and cook 2 minutes or until wine is mostly evaporated.
3. Add broth, potatoes, and water to saucepot; cover and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are very tender.
4. In batches, ladle celery mixture into blender; cover, with center part of cover removed to allow steam to escape, and blend very well until pureed. Pour puree into large bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Return soup to saucepot; heat through. Ladle soup into tureen; sprinkle with pepper and garnish with celery leaves.
SERVINGS 12 ; COOK TIME 45; TOTAL TIME 70
(based on individual servings)
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 600 mg
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 2 g