CLEANING FRUITS-VEGETABLES—PESTICIDE REMOVAL
To remove pesticides from fruits and vegetables:
From Susan Sumner, a food scientist at Virginia at Polytechnic Institute and State University re: cleaning fruits and vegetables: Her disinfecting procedure uses white vinegar (or cider vinegar) and 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (the same as found at the drugstore). These are nontoxic, inexpensive and work not only on fruit and vegetables but can be used to sanitize counters and preparation surfaces, including wooden cutting boards, as well. Here’s the method:
· Put the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide into individual dark-colored spray bottles
· Spray your produce or work surface thoroughly first with vinegar and then with hydrogen peroxide.
· Then rinse the produce under running water or wipe the surface with a clean wet sponge.
People who must avoid vinegar use the following method: Use warm running water, the liquid dish washing soap you use to clean your dishes, and a vegetable scrub brush (reserved only for cleaning vegetables). Wash and rinse thoroughly.
Here are some additional recipes and instructions for thoroughly cleaning pesticides off of fruits and vegetables:
Make Your Own Fruit and Vegetable Super-cleaner
You can opt for a simple detergent- or vinegar-based wash (see above), or make a super-wash, using either of the following mixes:
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 1 cup (250ml) of water. Put the mixture in a spray-topped bottle. Spray the fruit or vegetables, leave to sit for 5—10 minutes, then rinse well.
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons white vinegar (distilled works best), 1 cup (250ml) water in a spray-topped bottle. Spray the fruit or vegetables, wipe and eat.
For particularly waxy fruit or vegetables, try this mixture:
1 cup (250ml) water, half a cup (115ml) vinegar, 1 tablespoon baking soda and dash of grapefruit seed extract. Spray this onto the produce and leave for an hour before rinsing and eating.
12 Notes/ Hide
- ilenisg reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- nohatejustlove likes this
- crochetinginthekitchensink reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- crochetinginthekitchensink likes this
- drscottisderivativefree likes this
- danny-esc likes this
- hippiegirlsrock likes this
- friscocupcake reblogged this from chemicalfreelife and added:
- additiveandcrueltyfree likes this
- heuristicsolutions likes this
- chemicalfreelife posted this