SPECIAL: What makes produce, meat and dairy organic?
For a product to be sold with a USDA organic label, it must meet certain standards; for instance, crops cannot be irradiated, or have been grown using genetically modified organisms, synthetic fertilizers or certain pesticides. In the case of organic livestock, farmers must feed the animals organic feed, eschew antibiotics and growth hormones and adhere to certain animal welfare standards.
To become certified, a farm must undergo an evaluation by an independent certifying agency approved by the USDA. Farmers submit detailed documentation showing what they grow, what substances are applied to their land and what farming methods they use, among other things. After that, an inspector visits the farmland to ensure that the methods described are being followed. Farmers must renew their certification annually, by submitting updated records and undergoing another site inspection.
Organic food label definitions
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture if the label says:
-“100% Organic”: Products labeled “100 percent organic” must contain only organic ingredients with the exception of water and salt.
-“Organic”: Products labeled “organic” must contain at least 95 percent organic ingredients.
-“Made with Organic Ingredients”: Products that are made with at least 70 percent organic ingredients are allowed to be labeled “made with organic ingredients.”
23 Notes/ Hide
- i-need-glitter likes this
- shut-up-caelan likes this
- squattacat reblogged this from kaletales
- kaletales reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- littlebrwnowl reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- littlebravefox likes this
- saraahlynne reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- energizerbunnymode reblogged this from cardamommilk
- energizerbunnymode likes this
- homesteadhome reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- lastnightinbrooklyn reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- theboredomkillingbusiness likes this
- cardamommilk reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- youarelight-youaresound reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- crochetinginthekitchensink reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- crochetinginthekitchensink likes this
- mooonbeams likes this
- whispersofthebeloved likes this
- leechonsociety reblogged this from chemicalfreelife
- philthephenom likes this
- hqcreations said: I’d be more interested in knowing what the”non-organic” components involve…
- jadebubbles likes this
- hqcreations likes this
- chemicalfreelife posted this